Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ingrid Pitt

Ingrid Pitt – concentration camp survivor, genre icon and successful author (her literary endeavours inspired by Alistair Maclean in whose WWII action thriller ‘Where Eagles Dare’ she enjoyed her first significant role) – died yesterday, two days after her 73rd birthday.

I met Ingrid Pitt – briefly – at a collector’s fair in the early 90s. She would have been in her mid-fifties. She was still strikingly beautiful. She was generous in the time she spent talking to her fans; there was nothing rarefied or pretentious about her. She signed a photograph for me (I’ll attempt to scan and post it to the blog tomorrow) and I came away feeling that I’d met someone of quality. Someone with real presence and dignity, but worn lightly as only those who have lived a survivor’s life are capable of.


i.m. Ingrid Pitt (21 November 1937 – 23 November 2010)

No comments: